Other Ingredients: Gelatin, cellulose, mangnesium stearate and silicon dioxide.
CAUTION: Do not exceed recommended dose. Do not use in conjunction with other products high in iodine as excessive iodine intake may be harmful. Pregnant or nursing mothers, children under 18, and individuals with a known medical condition should consult a physician before using this or any dietary supplement.
Dosage: One capsule in the morning and one capsule in the evening.
Ray & Terry's Thyroid Support contains 60 capsules per bottle. Ray & Terry's Thyroid Support is equally effective when taken with or without food. However, if your digestive system is sensitive, you may want to take your supplements with meals.
Bladderwrack or kelp is a type of seaweed with a high concentration of iodine. Iodine is vital to proper thyroid function and is used by the thyroid gland to produce thyroid hormones.1Kelp is also used to stimulate the metabolism and is often found in supplements that assist in weight loss.
Selenium is a powerful antioxidant mineral essential for correct metabolism of thyroid hormones. It helps to improve mood, promote detoxification, support healthy joint function, and assists in maintaining heart health.2 Some scientific evidence suggests that consumption of selenium may produce anticarcinogenic effects in the body.3 However, the FDA has determined that this evidence is limited and not conclusive.
L-Tyrosine is important to the structure of almost all proteins in the body. It may also help fight fatigue and improve mood and mental function in people who are experiencing stress or sleep deprivation.4 The body uses tyrosine to make several neurotransmitters, which help support proper nervous system function and brain health.
Magnesium helps to relax the smooth muscles inside blood vessels and arteries and improves blood flow to the heart.5,6 In turn, this helps reduce the occurrence of arterial spasm and headache. Magnesium also supports blood pressure already within a normal range, and is necessary to form bone, protein and fatty acids, contributing significantly to overall health.7,8
The Updated Formula:
- In 2010, crops of coleus forskohill failed. As a result, the raw material was not available and we had to change the formula to compensate for this loss.
- The magnesium has been increased from 100mg to 200mg per dose.
- Ashwagandha was increased to 200 mg
- Schizandra was increased to 240 mg
- Kelp was removed. The iodine (from kelp source) and the bladderwrack (another type of seaweed) are still included for thyroid function. This is to offer an optimal amount iodine.
- Eskin BA, Grotkowski CE, Connolly CP, Ghent WR. 1995. "Different tissue responses for iodine and iodide in rat thyroid and mammary glands." Biol Trace Elem Res. 49(1):9-19.
- Sher L. Riverdale. 2001. "Role of thyroid hormones in the effects of selenium on mood, behavior, and cognitive function." Med Hypotheses Oct;57(4):480-3.
- A. J. Duffield-Lillico et al. 2002. "Baseline characteristics and the effect of selenium supplementation on cancer incidence in a randomized clinical trial: a summary report of the Nutritional Prevention of Cancer Trial."Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. Jul;11(7): 630-639.
- Magill RA, Waters WF, Bray GA, Volaufova J, Smith SR, Lieberman HR, McNevin N, Ryan DH. 2003. "Effects of tyrosine, phentermine, caffeine D-amphetamine, and placebo on cognitive and motor performance deficits during sleep deprivation". Nutritional Neuroscience 6(4):237-46.
- Circulation Research 2005;96:207-215.
- Fuentes JC, Salmon AA, Silver MA. "Acute and chronic oral magnesium supplementation: effects on endothelial function, exercise capacity, and quality of life in patients with symptomatic heart failure." Congest Heart Fail. 2006 Jan-Feb;12(1):9-13.
- Am J Clin Nutr 1994 60:129-13. Witteman JC et al.
- J Bone Miner Res 1998;13:749-58. Rude RK.