Q. I have smoked cigarettes for 16 years. What test can I take to assess the damage already done? How will my smoking history affect me as I go forward?

A. Any doctor can help you assess this with appropriate tests such as lung function and exercise treadmill (heart) and perhaps a chest X ray. Of course, the first step to stopping and correcting the damage is to quit smoking.